Starry Night

It is that time of the year to celebrate.  Me and my husband have a special date we celebrate and I created this card for him.  The painting by Vincent Van Gogh is one of our favorites and it also has special meaning for us.  So I had this idea of using the image but alter it to make it ours and reflect the meaning it has for us.  After several failed attempts, I created one that I was satisfied with.



The first thing I did was find a picture of the painting.  I then used my ink cartridge printer to print it.  Immediately after it printed I spritzed with water all over until the paper was soaked but not too much that it would tear.  Right afterwards I applied the heat tool until the paper was dry on both sides.  The effect is a nice washed out print that retains the original elements in an altered form.  

Once that was done I covered the image with a thick layer of Crackle Accents.  I applied the heat gun to get the corrugated texture and glossy finish. 






The stars were first punched and then I covered them with liquitex modeling paste medium in white.  Liquitex is sold at Michael's and Hobby Lobby in the acrylic and oil paints section.  The medium provided a rich textured effect, almost like icing, as I applied with my finger.  Takes for ever to dry but once it dried I mixed two shades of acrylic yellows and painted the stars.  Afterwards, I wrapped a tiny piece of wire around the star for added dimension and glued to the altered photo.  



The card was originally plain cream cardstock, but I recently bought the new Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze in Espresso and used a brush to apply all over the card.  The glimmery effect is awesome, while at the same time it gives some texture to the plain paper depending on your brush movement.  


TFL!

Comments

  1. Liz, I LOVE how you created this card!! I learn SO much from you, especially about textures (your Journey into Textures is awesome!!) & once again one of your projects just blows me away :) I love using my modeling paste but never would have thought to use it they way you did with the stars & then adding a piece of wire to them for even MORE dimension - how cool!! I also love the way you spritzed the copy of your pic to get a watercolor type effect from it - one more thing I've learned from you :) I can't wait to try it on one of my fav pics!!
    Thanks so much for sharing your techniques & enthusiasm with us. You really help keep me inspired & motivated!!
    Happy Holidays to you & your family
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poinsettia Wreath

Christmas Cards

Handmade Christmas Trees